Previously, when creating a payment plan, that payment plan would use the customer's most recently updated credit card for payments.
When creating a payment plan, you can now pass a
card_token parameter along with the usual
customer parameter to link the payment plan to the specific credit card. If a new card gets added to a customer after this point, the payment plan will still continue to use the associated credit card to process that plan.
As an example:
- You create a customer "Zoey Zebra"
- You add a card ending in 4242 to Zoey's customer record, it has a card token of "abcd1234"
- You create a payment plan specifying this card token during the creation of that payment plan. The payment plan will be linked to this card.
- Later, you add a different credit card (ending in 4111) to Zoey's account
- The next payment will continue to use the 4242 credit card, instead of the newer 4111 card.
The endpoints that support this new parameter are
POST /v1.0/payment_plans and
If you provide no
card_token when creating payment plans, the current credit card at the time of payment will be used.